Thursday, September 30, 2010

Just keep swimming...

"Just keep swimming, just keep swimming, just keep swimming." Another great line from a movie. Dory the fish never gave up and kept her mind on what it takes to get there (even if she couldn't remember exactly where she was going or why). I am REALLY glad I write things down when I am especially inspired. I pulled the following from a talk I gave when I was RS Pres. It was definitely inspiration, I know this because this kind of information doesn't just come flowing out of my brain. I'm always in complete and utter awe to recognize little nuggets of inspiration after the fact. I'm reading it again and still trying to internalize it. Did I really write it??? Yup, 'fraid so. Another example of how I have learned to know God loves me 'cause I experienced how much he loved the women in my ward at that time. Here it is:

Line upon line, precept on precept means to me: I know and understand more than I am able to do. When I learn to do what I know, my mind is enlightened with more knowledge that I have to learn to do. This is the pattern the Lord works by.

Satan would interrupt that pattern by convincing us that we are not in God’s good graces because we are not doing all that we know. He would try to convince us to not try as hard or to stop trying for fear of failing to follow through. This is a lie and it is not God’s way.

Discouragement is one of the most powerful tools of Satan and it is in opposition to the hope that the atonement of Jesus Christ provides. Without the atonement, repentance would be in vain. The atonement took place so we can try, fail and repent; try, fail and repent until we do succeed. And we will succeed, again because of the atonement – but only if we are active participants in accepting it into our lives.

We can not afford to passively sit by and wait for inspiration to fall from heaven into our minds. We have to seek and search after it, so that the pattern gaining knowledge line upon line and precept on precept can occur.

No comments:

Post a Comment